Related Topics: Advice, Hot Flushes, Menopause, Natural Progesterone, Treatments

The Three Main Reasons Why Women Get Hot Flashes

Hot flashes are the most common complaint for women going through menopause. Find out some of the reasons why they occur.

AnnA Rushton
Email this article to a friendPrint this article

It seems that hot flashes are the bane of many women’s lives during menopause – and they have quite an effect on those around them too. Hot flashes come on without any warning and can range from being mildly uncomfortable to downright unbearable. Symptoms range from just a slight redness of the face to a full body sweat that leaves you wringing wet and generating enough heat to boil water. Plus the dreaded night sweats that can seriously disturb your sleep.

It’s estimated that around 30% of menopausal women will get some form of hot flashes. How affected you are will depend on several factors, including where you live and what you eat. Some lucky women never get them at all and they are certainly very much more common in the Western world. There is no word in Japanese for instance to cover this phenomenon because they do not seem to suffer from it – unless they have switched to a predominantly Western diet. If you are unlucky enough to suffer from hot flashes this article will help you learn why they occur. If you’re not yet a sufferer, then it will help you gauge whether or not you are likely to become one.

The Reasons Why
Although some lucky women escape completely, there are some very good reasons why we experience the heat that we associate with menopause:

1 – Blood Vessels
Hot flashes occur when the blood vessels below the skin dilate. This causes more blood to rush to the skin’s surface, and that is what makes you look red and flushed, and feel that tell-tale rise in temperature. The body’s normal response to this is to try and cool you down, and it does this by making you sweat. What is unique about hot flashes is that this mechanism kicks in when the outside temperature can be very low and you do not have any signs of fever.

2 – Fluctuating hormones
Well you know all about this during menopause, and in fact the changing levels of your hormones are the prime cause of hot flashes. When your hormone levels fluctuate they cause the temperature control mechanism in the body to be disturbed. The centre which controls this is in a part of the brain called the hypothalamus and it seems that it is changing levels of oestrogen and FSH (follicular stimulating hormone) that can upset this delicate balance and cause hot flashes.

Women having hot flashes usually have decreased oestrogen levels and increased FSH levels, but it is important to remember that it is the changes and fluctuations in the hormone levels – rather than the actual amount of hormone being produced – that produces hot flashes.

3 – Surgical menopause
It is to be expected that menopause symptoms come naturally when a woman’s childbearing years are coming to a close and the menopause or perimenopause is under way. However, women who have a hysterectomy or their ovaries removed at an age when they would not normally be going through menopause are more likely to experience more severe and frequent hot flashes after the surgery than in a natural menopause transition.

Even if the ovaries are retained it is no guarantee that an early menopause will not occur, as their effectiveness at producing progesterone will be affected and will diminish over time.

These are some of the reasons behind hot flashes. I hope it helps explain why you may be feeling hot and bothered. After all, knowledge is power, and some women do like to refer to their hot flashes as power surges!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Email this article to a friendPrint this article

Elizabeth Ackroyd | 3:56 pm, March 18th, 2010

I started the menopause 48 was on hrt for 3 years . Then they stoped . But they came back 2 years after so i tried your cream but it did not work . so i have to put up with it .Some days good and bad. From liz

AnnA Rushton | 5:23 pm, March 18th, 2010

Sorry to hear you are still suffering Liz, but the thing with hot flushes is there are many ways to treat them and every woman is unique and responds differently. It’s worth trying a few solutions until you find the one that works best for you.

Jane Peters | 5:24 pm, March 18th, 2010

I have been using a progesterone cream for about 2 years and its definitely helped me. My husband used to joke we slept in a duck pond because the bed was so wet by the morning with my night sweats! The cream stopped all that and bar the occasional hot flush I’m sailing through the menopause.

tracey charles | 8:53 pm, March 18th, 2010

i had pre menopausal symptoms, i was given dr lee’s book to read. i orderd the natural progesterone cream and my symptoms have massively improved. iat college i even did a presentation on the subject and one of the students now use the cream and has stated that she feels so much better. i try to tell any woman that i come across about oestrogen dominance- i have been continually re-ordering dr lee’s book and give them your web page to order the cream. its surprising the amount of women that do not know about this subject matter. keep up the good work!

patricia | 8:59 pm, March 18th, 2010

I’m 70…hd a total hysterectomy aged 32. Had extreme chills and hot flushes. My husband said tht fm that point on he saw me go downhill. I’ve tried everything. I met a woman on a short holiday and she was 80 yrs old…she told me she had them right thru her 70’s. I still suffer fm depression..on medication..but nothing helps..hv hd 3 breakdowns .. electric shock treatment..many types of therapy…suffer insomnia. I may sound like a ‘whinger’ but I am not…I am just ‘wore out.’ I eat soy, both soft and hard, drink green tea, mango, use relaxing music, gym, swim, and massage whn I can afford it..walk to get out in fresh air…u name it, I feel like I hv tried it……

Rae | 4:49 am, March 19th, 2010

Same here started at 33 after opp tried other till cancer scare came out went cold turkey THEN i read about this cream i cant Ty enough , worked for awhile then didnt seem to ,increased the cream topped up again but thing i ever brought from over sees have put a lot of my friends onto it here in Australia they also have found the benefits , our saying is ( a little Dab will do ya ) Serenity from wellsprings mad if you don’t try it

nancy | 2:04 am, March 20th, 2010

I have had a hysterectomy but still have my ovaries. Hot flashes , broken sleep, low libido, …am on premarin for 3 yrs . I started serenity and thought it was helping. I didn’t stay on it long because I am unsure what I need. Will this cause extra hair growth if I don’t need this hormone? Would like to really give this a try but how do I know for sure which hormone i need?

Karen | 2:46 pm, March 20th, 2010

I have been using progestrone and find the hot flashes are not as bad, but still cannot move my weight even by eating healthy.Also hair thinning on the top. I have been on menapause since 42 now 50 been on HRT on and off. I have been told to take a quarter of teaspoon of progestrone now, any other suggestions

MARGARET HORNE | 9:45 pm, April 13th, 2010

I AM 71 BEEN ON HRT FOR 17YEARS CAME OF MY DOCTERS ADVICE STILL GETTING BAD FLUSHES CANY LOSE WEIGHT ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

Dr Tony Coope | 10:43 am, April 17th, 2010

For Elizabeth (Ackroyd): often progesterone is sufficient; sometimes you need to add phytoestrogens or herbs such as agnes castus or black cohosh. Sometimes these are enough on their own. The key is to nudge your hormones back into balance.
If you would like to e-mail me in more detail, esp. in relation to your past menstrual history, I will see if I can pick out the clues. If this does not shed light on your problem, you may need a hormone saliva test, which usually clarifies the situation. Good luck! (drcoope@bio-hormone-health.com)

Dr Tony Coope | 9:28 am, April 18th, 2010

Nancy: If your hysterectomy was for fibroids/heavy periods; or if you had PMT with headaches, fluid retention, mood swings, breast tenderness, depression or sugar cravings , then you almost certainly had a relative oestrogen ‘dominance’ from a low progesterone level.
This would mean that you should be on progesterone, and not premarin, which, containing mixed oestrogens and no progesterone, is giving you more of what you probably DON”T need.
Progesterone doesn’t cause unwanted hair growth even in ‘excess’. The body has two biochemical pathways to make its stress and sex hormones (eg cortisol, oestrogens and testosterone); one via progesterone, the other via ‘androgens’, which in excess may have a male-type effect on you. If your progesterone is low the body uses this second pathway, hence more androgens, extra hair growth etc. If you would like to e-mail me your tel. number I could call you and discuss what’s best for you (drcoope@bio-hormone-health.com)

Dr Tony Coope | 10:26 am, April 18th, 2010

Patricia: this is a bit of a heartbreak story. You don’t say why you had the hysterectomy, but 32 is a very young age to have such a drastic procedure, especially as you lost your ovaries as well.
It sounds as though you have never recovered from the sudden crash in your oestrogen and progesterone levels; 38 years ago medical thinking about these matters was still fairly embryonic, – did you have hormone replacement ?
That’s on one level; but the true cause may well lie in your experiences prior to the operation. Are you carrying an unresolved burden of sadness, regret, or even anger that you have never been able to express? These are sensitive issues, but if you feel you could e-mail me your story in more detail, including the reasons for the operation, what treatment you have had, and what things you yourself have tried, we might be able to help find a solution. We could look at hormonal and nutritional possibilities, and subtler things as well.
As the saying goes: ‘it’s never too late to have a happy childhood!’

(my e-mail as in the column above)

Dr Tony Coope | 11:09 am, April 18th, 2010

Karen: it is possible that you might benefit from a phytoestrogen like Soyagen in addition to the progesterone, but if you haven’t already done so you should ask your doctor to check your thyroid function. A possible problem here is that the labs do not routinely check the level of T3 , the more active form of the thyroid hormone. T4 is measured, but if it is not fully converted into T3 in the body, you can be told your tests are ‘normal’ when you do in fact have, an under-active thyroid.
A still useful way of checking for this possibility is to take your under-the-tongue temperature immediately on waking each morning for a week, best done from the second day of your cycle. If this ‘basal’ temperature is less than 97.6F/36.5C, there is a possibility of hypothyroidism.
A very excellent book, if you are interested in thyroid problems, is ‘Your Thyroid, and how to keep it healthy’ by Dr Barry Durrant-Peatfield, (Hammersmith Press).
Let us know how you get on!

Lori | 3:31 am, May 4th, 2010

I had to have a hysterectomy (all but one ovary) at 30 due to Endometriosis. I have started having hot flashes but especially the sweats. My dr ran labs and said my hormone levels are normal. Could I still have break through menopause symptoms if my labs are normal? Also had thyroid removed at 28 due to cancer.

Dr Tony Coope | 5:35 pm, May 6th, 2010

Lori: this is a tricky one. You do not mention your age and how long you have had
these symptoms, but, yes, you can have them with normal tests, especially if they are on blood not saliva, which is the more reliable. The best treatment for you would depend on an accurate picture of your hormone balance (oestrogen/ -progesterone) now, which may have been affected by stress, oestrogen in any previous HRT, and by your level of thyroid function, which is not always correctly assessed by the routine tests done by NHS laboratories.
You do need to talk this through with a doctor who is familiar with these things. If this is not possible for you, I would be very happy to do so and hope to guide you in the right direction. (drcoope@bio-hormone-health.com)

Lori | 7:22 pm, May 6th, 2010

I’m sorry. I am 34 now. All of this happened pretty recently. The hot flashes started about 6 months ago after I had a grapefruit size, benign cyst in my abdomen removed last August (post hysterectomy). I have another appointment this month & I will ask again. No one seems ready to say that is what it is since my labs look so good.
Thank you for your response.

Dr Tony Coope | 11:30 pm, May 6th, 2010

Lori: your history of endometriosis, and more recently the development of the cyst, suggests to me that the likely cause of your flushes is an imbalance (increase) in the ratio of oestrogen to progesterone in your hormone levels. This could be clarified via saliva testing, which would show whether progesterone cream would be of benefit to you. Please let us know if you reach an impasse and need some help.

LISA | 5:38 am, May 10th, 2010

I AM 47 IHAD A RADICAL HYSTERECTOMY 18 MONTHS AGO I SUFFERED WITH VERY HEAVY BLEEDING AND DEBILATATING PAINFUL PERIODS FROM 13 I HAD A CIN 1 8 YEARS AGO FOLLOWED BY A LETZ PROCEEDURE I HAVE HAD BUSRTING OVARIAN CYSTS FOR ABOUT 15 YEARS AS WELL AS LARGE AMOUNTS OF FIBROIDS
SELF DIAGNOSED ENDOMETRIOSIS UNTIL I DEVELOPED AN 8CM CYST ON MY RIGHT OVARY
I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH THAT THE DOC I WAS REFERED TO THROUGH THE SYTEM WAS AN ENDO SPECIALIST
WITH ALL MY PROBLEMS HE RECOMENDED AN HISTORECTOMY
BECAUSE I HAVE A LIGHT FRAME HE SUGGESTED PREMERIN STRAIGHT AFTER THE OPERATION AS I HADN’T BEEN MENOPAUSAL AT THIS STAGE
MY MOTHER SUFFERED FOR MY YEARS WITH HOT FLUSHES AND DEPRESSION AND MY SISTER IS AT END STAGES OF BREAST CANCER
I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN TERRIFIED OF HOT FLUSHES AS MY BODY BUT NEVER DOES ANYTHING BY HALVES
I DONT WANT TO BE ON HRT EITHER I HAVE 2 CONFLICTNG LOTS OF MEDICAL INFO 1 BECAUSE I HAVE HAD MY OVARIES OUT THAT ONCE THE FLUCTUATION OF HORMONES STOPS (how long might that be) THAT THE HOT FLUSHES WILL STOP
THE OTHER IS THAT BECAUSE OF NO OVARIES THE HOT FLUSHES WILL BE WORSE AS WELL AS SKIN AND HAIR DETERIORATION IF I DONT TAKE THE PREMERIN
P.S. I HAVE HAD AT MY INSISTANCE A BONE DENSITY SCAN AND IT HAS COME BACK GOOD

Dr Shirley A Bond | 11:38 am, May 10th, 2010

Dear Lisa,
As you are young (47) and your periods had not stopped prior to your hysterectomy and removal of ovaries you may well need hormone replacement.

However you must realize that oestrogen (Premarin) on its own is not a good idea. Oestrogen should always be balanced with progesterone whether you still have a uterus or not. This is to protect the body from unwanted effects of oestrogen on its own on the body.

If you do not want to be on HRT at all you could always come off your Premarin slowly and see how you are. The hot flushes will stop eventually and can be helped to do so by taking supplements containing isoflavones and using some progesterone cream.
Alternatively you could ask your doctor to prescribe some Oestriol (a weak oestrogen and combine it with Progesterone cream such as Serenity

If oestriol is not available the tablet called Hormonin in the UK may be.
Even though your bones are OK now you must look after them. You can do this by taking a good bone supplement (details are on the web site) combined with progesterone cream.
If you want more details we can arrange a telephone consultation if you email me via the site.

Diana | 5:20 pm, May 26th, 2010

I am 52 and have had hot flushes since age 50. I started on the serenity cream a few months ago and am also on evening primrose oil, black cohosh, phytoestrogens, st johns wort and kalms tablets which contain valerian to help sleep. Despite all this, I sleep badly and sweat at night. Is there anything else you could recommend so I can get a good night’s sleep and stop sweating, particularly at night. I haven’t had any children nor any gynaecological problems or operations.

Thank you.

Diana

AnnA Rushton | 1:10 pm, May 28th, 2010

Diana as you have presented quite a number of different issues here, I have passed on your comment to Dr Coope and his reply to you is below:

Diana – That’s quite a collection you are on, which may possibly be counter-productive. I would want to simplify things a little, but to do that it would be good to know a little more of your story,- for instance your past symptoms; to what degree depression has been a problem for you; and how much stress you have been, and are now, experiencing.

The sleep aspect is very important in all of this, – it contributes to the situation significantly, so it is important to get right.

One of the very best products I have found for this is a nutritional supplement called ‘Total Calm’, containing 3 amino-acids which help balance the body’s natural mood and brain chemistry. It tends to lift mood, reduces tension and regulates sleep without the unwanted side-effects of tranquillisers, sleeping pills or anti-depressants.

For a general balancing of your hormonal system, a combined botanical/homeopathic product called ‘Endopath-F’ is very interesting, and definitely worth trying in any female system imbalance such as hot flashes, PMS, mood swings or general menopausal symptoms.

These supplements come from different companies in the USA, but can be ordered in the UK from ‘Health Matters’ via e-mail: info@healthmatters.tc

If you would like to discuss any aspect of the above, please get in touch with me via drcoope@bio-hormonehealth.com

Hayley | 3:22 pm, October 10th, 2010

Hi Im 44 and have been experiencing menopausal symptoms on and off for the past 2 yrs. My periods stopped totally about 18 months ago and the hot flashes have been evident over the past 2 yrs but not all the time during the 21months or so. My problems have really arisen over the past 2 months where I can only describe my symptoms as a nightmare!.. I get the flashes and quite excessive sweating mainly in the day time but my sleep is interrupted each night by quite mild flashing and sweating and greatly disrupts my pattern of sleep thus making me completely worn out throughout the day. I have tried herbal tablets black cohosh & menolieve etc but had no relief. My GP started me on clonidine recently but I have felt extremely light headed and noticed my BP has plummeted – hence I have had to cut them right down – only 25mcg BD – however I still feel light headed. Im not sure what else to try and there is such a mind field of products out there its difficult to know which to choose. I have been feeling pretty miserable of late because I hadn’t realised how unwell my symptoms are making me feel. Im normally very active of reasonably normal weight (although have put on few pounds – that I want to lose). Im really asking for any help and assistance you can offer as Im at a loss as in which direction to turn.
Many thanks
Hayley

Dr Shirley Bond | 10:23 am, October 11th, 2010

Dear Haley,
Unfortunately it is often the case that women like you who have an early menopause experience severe problems.

I do not understand why your GP has given you Clonodine when you obviously need some hormone replacement unless of course there is some medical reason for this that you have not mentioned.

I would sugest that you consult a doctor who is experienced in the use of bio-identical hormones which are what I would suggest. However a full medical history would be needed before you were prescribed these.

Masha | 5:02 pm, January 21st, 2011

Hi Dr., I am having a really hard time with so much. I am 36 yrs old, i have 2 school aged boys, am married. In less than 6 months I put on 50 lbs. and my whole shape changed from light pear to extreme apple shape. I have never had such a huge stomach. I am hypothyroid, but am being treated. I also suffer from fibromyalgia and sjogren’s syndrome. I took a 24 hr cortisol test which was normal (yet that day I had severe itching so I took 8 benedryl)I think one of the worst symptoms is severe depression, over 4 months now, plus lots of anxiety. I wish I had enough money to work with a natural type dr and really figure out what’s wrong. I also have aged alot. I have been really hot upon wakening and really warm in 40 degree weather. I am on a lot of medications. I constantly have headaches and nausea, daily. Every afternoon around 4 pm I crash, even though I get a lot of exercise. I really want to get better, especially so I can be a better mommy and enjoy life.Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank You in advance!!

Elizabeyh Ackroyd | 4:39 pm, January 23rd, 2011

Hi Dr . I have had this for two years and this year . It makes me not well at times and it is not fair on my husband he is so good . I have tried things but no good .Can you tell me about hormone saliva test will it work . E Ackroyd

AnnA Rushton | 5:45 pm, January 23rd, 2011

Elizabeth – a saliva test will not treat hot flashes, only establish what your hormone levels. Talk to your doctor about being tested and discuss what you have already tried to deal with the flashes and it may that are and if you need supplementing with natural progesterone could be the answer.

Dr Tony Coope | 9:44 am, January 24th, 2011

Masha: this sounds complicated, with a number of metabolic systems involved, – hormonal, thyroid, immune, probable insulin resistance and sugar imbalance, as well as the anxiety/depression. Behind it all may be some deep emotional issues of which you may or may not be aware.
To unravel just what is involved, and what is causing what, will take time, and would best be done face to face with a doctor who understands these things, but obviously it may not be so easy to find one in your local area.
If you would like to e-mail me your story separately, I will have a look at it and see if I can piece together a coherent diagnosis, – how it all fits together; but I would need to know a lot more detail about your past and family illnesses, what investigations you have had, and their results; what medications you are on, and a detailed history of your symptoms in the order they have developed. I’ll then come back to you with some questions, and we’ll see where we can go from there.

Peggie | 6:15 pm, April 11th, 2011

I am 61 years old and have been on Cenestin HRT for at least 13 years now. I am still suffering hot flashes, night sweats and the very worst… insufferable insomnia. I have no clue anymore what it’s like to have a decent night’s sleep. Could it be that I need to be on either a stronger doseage of the Cenestin or a completely different HRT? I’m getting desperate here, mostly for a good night’s rest. I work at a high school and have to be ALERT… not falling asleep at my desk! Thanks!

AnnA Rushton | 3:36 pm, April 12th, 2011

Dear Peggie – HRT is intended to ‘flatten out’ your hormone surges and in this respect it can help with hot flashes. However, long term HRT is not recommended for many health reasons and there is no guarantee that increasing the dose will have the effect you desire.

I spoke with Dr Coope, whose articles you will find on the site, and his comment was that you should not be on this form of HRT at this time of your life, partly because of the potential health risks, but also because it is clearly not solving your problems.

Cenestin contains a mixture of estrogens, with no ‘opposing’ progestogen, which suggests you have had a hysterectomy before you started on it. Many of the reasons for a hysterectomy are related to estrogen dominance, – a relative deficiency of progesterone; this is likely to still be having effects now, particularly on your sleep.
Dr Coope suggests NO to a higher dose of Cenestin, and no to another form of HRT until you have talked to a doctor who understands this situation, and probably have had a simple saliva test to assess your progesterone/estrogen levels. It should not be difficult to turn this around, but there needs to be an accurate diagnosis first.
If you wish to speak with Dr Coope further about this he is happy to talk it through with you her if you email him via the site.

I hope that helps – AnnA

Peggie | 6:03 pm, April 12th, 2011

Thanks for the reply, Anna & Dr. Coope. Yes, I had a hysterectomy at age 32 due to pre cancer, however my ovaries were left. Consequently, I went through a “normal” menopause in my late 40’s. I was shocked to read your comments about the progesterone, as my old GYN kept telling me that by only having me on Estrogen, it would lessen my chances of breast cancer. I am VERY confused now. Coincidentally, I have a GYN appointment this afternoon with a new doctor as my old one retired last summer. I have printed out my original inquiry and your response from this website and will definitely be bringing it along with me. I will update. Thanks again.

Julie Guthery | 1:29 am, October 12th, 2011

I’m 43 yrs old and had a hysterectomy 2 yrs ago. (2009) I was pregnant and lost the baby due to a large fibroid tumor that was growing towards my spine. I had a D&C, and a week later a hysterectomy. I have 1 ovary left. I’m sitting here burning up. Can a woman have hot flashes and menopause with 1 ovary?

wellsprings | 9:00 am, October 12th, 2011

Julie – a woman can have hot flashes at any time as it is related to fluctuating hormone levels and those can occur throughout a woman’s life. Other factors also influence them such as stress, diet and oestrogen dominance where your progesterone is not sufficient to counter the effects of the oestrogen.

After a hysterectomy, even with one ovary left, you will very likely not be producing progesterone and not enough to balance the oestrogen.

Dr Tony Coope | 9:38 am, October 12th, 2011

Julie: in normal circumstances, one ovary should be enough to maintain function. The key here is your hysterectomy, – it is not uncommon after such an operation, even if both ovaries are left, for their hormonal output to decline within 2 or 3 years, bringing about a premature menopause; so the answer to your question is yes, and this is likely what has happened here.
For the future, you may be advised to go onto standard HRT, but I would urge caution. It is very entrenched in medical thinking that hot flashes are simply due to a lack of estrogen, and thus are symptoms of ‘an estrogen deficiency syndrome’. This is much like saying a headache is the result of an aspirin deficiency, – it is more complicated than that!
Because you no longer have a risk of developing cancer of the womb, you will probably be offered an estrogen-only form of HRT, the protective effect of a progestin not being needed. But you developed a large fibroid, which suggests that for some time you have had a hormone imbalance of estrogen in relation to depleted progesterone levels,(estrogen encouraging its growth, and progesterone opposing that effect).
If this is the case, then more estrogen for you may ease the flashes, but at the cost of a significant risk of side effects, including an increased risk of breast cancer.
I think it is important for you to know what your estrogen/progesterone balance is (a simple saliva test), so that, if you do need estrogen, it can be balanced with bio-identical progesterone. It may even be that progesterone alone will rebalance you, and save you significant difficulties in the future.
One last thing; stress is a big factor in the development of hormonal problems, and hormonal imbalance makes it more difficult to cope with stress. I would think that losing your womb and your baby at the same time has to be very near the top of a list of possible emotional traumas, which is why I think it is so important for you to get this one right.

janice m Haag | 5:59 pm, November 16th, 2011

I am 71 and for the past year I am having hot flashes I had a partial hystromey at the age of 48 I never took harmone replacement therpy.

Dr Tony Coope | 5:32 pm, November 17th, 2011

Janice: if you are asking a question, I imagine it is to do with experiencing hot flushes many years post-menopause, possibly not having had many previous problems. This is always slightly puzzling; you probably need to consult your doctor about this if you haven’t already done so. In my experience it is often helpful to have a 1-day estrogen/progesterone (saliva) test before attempting to treat these symptoms, but the alternative is to trial a course of herbal supplements such as black cohosh, dong quai or soy isoflavones, or if they are not effective, obtain a pot of 20:1 combined progesterone/estrogen cream from Wellsprings, which is often very helpful in this situation.

Peggie | 6:22 pm, November 17th, 2011

As a follow up to a previous post: I had to be taken completely off ALL forms of HRT due to my having had a stroke in April. So consequently, ALL my menopausal symptoms have returned with a vengence. I managed to get the night sweats under control with the herbal supplement (Estroven clone) and am also using melatonin for the insomnia. Unfortunately, my hot flashes are getting insufferable. At home it’s not so much an issue as I can take off what needs to be taken off until the chills start. But at work, no way! While recuperating in the hospital from my stroke, I received a call that my dear mother had passed. The hospital discharged me on Celexa as an anti-depressant. At my last GYN appointment, I was told that Effexor is another anti-depressant, which has been found to also control hot flashes for certain women. So the doctor switched me to the Effexor XR. I’ve been on this for almost a month now and have noticed no difference. I’m at my wit’s end. I baby sit my 5 month old granddaughter and have found that I cannot even hold her, as her body heat will bring on a monstrous hot flash. I’ve learned to bring a tank top with me when baby sitting, but how ridiculous is this…wearing a tank top in the middle of the winter time? Any help out there?????

wellsprings | 6:39 pm, November 17th, 2011

Peggie – you might find Dr Coope’s response to the previous post also helpful for you. Also there is an article on the site about herbal help for menopause here: http://www.bio-hormone-health.com/2010/08/30/herbal-help-for-menopause/

You don’t say if you are already taking Serenity, but if you are then you may find it helpful to increase the amount of cream to a quarter teaspoon for a month and monitor your progress. Also, some women do find that they get fast relief from flushes by applying the cream during a flush to the inner wrist where the skin is thinner. This works faster, but is not as long lasting in terms of effect so you do need to also be rotating the cream to the other sites as usual.

Sweats like this really do make life difficult, so I hope you get relief soon.

Dr Tony Coope | 3:55 pm, November 23rd, 2011

Peggie and Janice: there is not enough space to develop this in detail here, but I’ll be posting an article on this site very soon; there is another way of perceiving menopausal symptoms. A recent study has shown that a much higher proportion of ‘older’ women (average age 59 in this study) than was expected still suffer from hot flashes and night sweats, well after menopause is assumed to be over.
To me this is further confirmation that it’s not ‘just your hormones’, but that there is something deeper going on, and that particularly over the age of 55 and beyond an approach beyond the hormonal is needed to achieve resolution of these persistent symptoms.
I’ll develop this further in the article, but if you really pay attention when you are having a flush, you may become aware that there is an emotion always present underneath the physical symptoms, an emotion that has the power to instantly make you ‘all hot and bothered’. This would not be the same for every woman, nor may it be the same one every time – it could be fear, anger, shame, self- criticism, regret and a number of other, less obvious feelings.
In this way of looking at things, resolution or a lessening of symptoms would result from contemplating these perhaps suppressed emotions, of which you may not have been aware, and bringing them up into the light of your awareness.
In the article I’ll include some thoughts on the best ways to achieve this somewhat daunting, but ultimately rewarding, task.

Peggie | 1:41 am, November 24th, 2011

Looking forward to reading your article, Dr. Coope. Hopefully, there will be some help for us women who are forever taking our own personal “tropical” vacations.

Helga Kelsch | 10:03 am, December 28th, 2011

I’m 72, my Dr. took me of the patches witch I have taken for 18 years, I’m on promensil for 3 month but thy don’t help, I have up to 20 Hot flashes per day and night sweats some days few less, I’m not happy, can some one help ???

wellsprings | 10:22 am, December 28th, 2011

Helga – we are very sorry to hear this, but hot flushes are very individual and can be subject to a number of causes including hormonal imbalance and a number of other factors can also be involved, including oestrogen dominance and stress.

Many women do find that by supplementing with Serenity bioidentical progesterone helps control their flushes.

You will find several articles on this site relating to hot flushes but two that would be most useful to you are these:

We do hope this helps and answers your questions but don’t hesitate to get in touch if you need more information.

Amy | 2:48 am, January 22nd, 2012

I am 36 years old and have not had a hysterectomy. My mother went thru menopause at age 40 and her mother went thru it at age 39. I have been suffering from intense hot flashes for 3 years now…the kind that make you drip sweat off of your face and entire body and then freeze to death from the body’s response to cool you down. And the night sweats keep me from having a peaceful night’s sleep. It started when I began having extended periods 3 years ago. I eventually had a DNC in hopes of correcting the extended periods. I would sometimes have 2 periods a month. Now I have started skipping periods. And sometimes will spot in between periods. I sometimes get a break from the hot flashes but if I have an abnormal period, they come back with a vengeance. My OB/GYN hasn’t done much about it other than prescribe anti-depressants which I took with no improvement in my symptoms. I don’t think he believes I could be going through menopause at such a young age. I am extremely frustrated as this is affecting my quality of life. Can you offer me any suggestions?

wellsprings | 4:20 pm, January 22nd, 2012

Amy – although there is an average age for menopause it is very variable depending on the state of your hormonal health. From your description you sound to be in perimenopause with all that entails and certainly bioidentical progesterone cream can help alleviate hot flashes, mood swings, anxiety and depression.

You will see from the previous answer to Helga that there are a number of articles on this site to help you and to start with looking at oestrogen dominance and then reasons for hot flashes would be the place to begin.

Peggie | 7:37 pm, January 22nd, 2012

I wanted to ask, is Serenity okay to use for a woman who has suffered stroke? My GYN had pulled me off all hormones because she said there is risk of clotting which is not good for a stroke patient Looking forward to a positive answer. THe hot flashes have not eased.

Dr Tony Coope | 4:48 pm, January 23rd, 2012

Peggie: the increased risk of blood clotting problems that may give rise to strokes, deep vein thrombosis and heart attacks is only related to the synthetic progestogens, not the bioidentical progesterone that is the basis of Serenity and various other ‘natural’ creams.

Peggie | 4:54 pm, January 23rd, 2012

Dr. Coope, thank you for your quick response to my post. I will be ordering the Serenity post haste.

Mary Stewart | 12:57 pm, March 3rd, 2012

I remembered a friend once told me that one reason why a women get hot flashes is due to lack of financial income. I then pause for a while, i remembered my mom get mad and have conflict towards my father if they don’t have enough in their pocket. Well, sometimes i think might be :) . Thank you for sharing this.

Cheryl Gilson | 11:04 pm, March 13th, 2012

HI! I’m a 55 yr old , experiencing severe hot flashes ..mostly at night..I cannot get enough rest since I’m waking all night long. I still have gotten my period in the past yr. , but haven’t had it in 2 months. I have fibroids which have gotten bigger not smaller as they had told me they would as I go through menopause. I still get cramps, pains in my legs and back and feel very ill most of the month! I would love to just get a hysterectomy and end this crap!! But I don’t know if it will help in the long run..or if I should just ” wait it out”?? I also cannot afford to take at least 3 wks off from work to go for the surgery!! I have suffered for yrs with heavy bleeding, severe cramps and severe mood swings…and depression..Any advice would help! Thank you..DESPERATE!!

wellsprings | 8:33 am, March 14th, 2012

Cheryl – your symptoms are those of oestrogen dominance, fibroids are particularly associated with this, so tackling that with bioidentical natural progesterone can help.

However hormone rebalance is not an instant solution but can take time to fully control and while it may stop the growth of your fibroids it may not entirely shrink them. If they have not shrunk naturally at menopause it indicates that your oestrogen levels are still high.

Progesterone will help with all your other symptoms and you will find articles on this site on oestrogen dominance and hot flashes which may also be helpful in handling your situation.

Jewel | 2:04 am, March 24th, 2012

I have been on natural progestrone now for about a year. At first it was helping me and now I feel I am back where I started. I haven’t had a period for about 6 months now. I have the sleeping issues as most, waking up all hours of the night, and sleeping hot during most nights wakes me up. I also take estrogen natural cream during the day time. I started with estrogen with testosterone and I felt very irritable, now just take the estrogen without testosterone and I am feeling alot of anxiety and still irritable at times. I take black cohash at times too when I feel i need to feel alittle happier and it seems to help. I got to a hormone Dr. and my hormones have been evaluated by a blood test. Do I need a saliva test instead? I am going through natural menapause and I did have fibroids before I found out I was in menapause. The Dr. wanted to do a hysterectomy, but I choose to do this natural. Where do I go from here. I feel I am having the brain fog again also, I start things all day long and never completely finish all of them. I am terribly stressed out at times and I was having headaches but now the headaches are better since I am taking straight estrogen. Please help if you can, I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank-you!

AnnA Rushton | 9:05 am, March 24th, 2012

Jewel – your symptoms are those of oestrogen dominance – such as the fibroids – and initially the progesterone helped to start rebalancing your hormones. HOwever the fact you are continuing to have additional oestrogen means you are maintaining the condition that caused the oestrogen dominance.

The ideal would be to reduce your oestrogen gradually and increase your progesterone back to the initial dose for a month to allow it to be well established. If you can stop your oestrogen altogether – including your black cohosh which is an oestrogen herb – you will see an improvement.

On the ‘brain fog’ you might find it helpful to read the following article:

Barb | 6:56 pm, April 5th, 2012

I am 38 and had a full hysterectomy 5 weeks ago, due to extreme endometriosis, constant pain and ovarian cysts. I had always suffered from very irregular menstral cycle. I am on estrace, 1mg, and norethindrone, 5mg, everyday. During the day I am suffering from severe chills, I can never get warm. At night I can’t get barely any sleep because of the hot flashes and night sweats. I am extremely exhausted. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wellsprings | 8:40 am, April 6th, 2012

Barb – a hysterectomy is an enforced premature menopause without the natural transition that the body normally goes through so there can indeed be all the symptoms you have described.

Your symptoms before the hysterectomy were those associated with oestrogen dominance and bioidentical natural progesterone can help with that, but you will need to stop the norethindrone as it is a synthetic form of progesterone that competes with the natural hormone for the same receptor sites in the body.

There are a couple of articles you will find it helpful to read on this site:

Janie | 2:42 pm, April 25th, 2012

Im 55 yrs old & had a complete hysterectomy 9 years ago. I was put on bioidentical HRT immediately & did great for 3 yrs until my Dr. moved out of state & stopped practicing, therefore I could no longer get the compounded cream he prescribed. Since then I’ve gone to many Dr’s & spent tens of thousands of dollars on saliva tests, blood tests, hormone pellet implants, creams, etc. & I’m Still going downhill. I have aged tremendously, gained weight, have insomnia & hot flashes. I use 1 ML of Biest (70/30) testosteronr .75/.5 compounded HRT cream & take progesterone sr 100mg capsule daily. I’m at my wits end. I can’t spend more money on tests, I can’t sleep for constantly throwing bedding off during a night sweat & I’m tired of looking 65 when I’m only 55. What do you suggest my next step should be? I’m desperate.

wellsprings | 11:56 pm, April 25th, 2012

Janie – the complexity of your medications means you need to speak with a doctor with natural hormone prescribing experience.

As you are in the United States we suggest you go to Dr Jeffrey Dach’s website (you will find several of his articles on this site) as he has a free email question facility at http://www.drdach.com/wst_page3.html

Robin | 2:19 am, June 13th, 2012

I went through very early menopause (43) and have suffered from hot flashes ever since. Sometimes, I get them every 20 minutes. I’ve tried everything, nothing works. Estrogen makes me crazy, other drug suggestions did the same. I’ve just about given up. Could it be underlying stress?

Robin | 3:02 pm, June 13th, 2012

Can you do progesterone w/o estrogen? I was given both at the same time, still had a “crazy” reaction.

wellsprings | 6:57 pm, June 13th, 2012

Yes Robin – most women do only use progesterone to rebalance their hormones as they usually have more than sufficient oestrogen even at menopause.

nicola | 10:15 pm, June 17th, 2012

had a hysterectomy 2 years ago but both ovarys remained, im 41 years old, having hot flushes, dryness down below, mood swings weight gain, forgetfull, been to gp blood came back normal, am i going through the menapause,

wellsprings | 11:25 am, June 18th, 2012

Nicola – you certainly have many of the symptoms of oestrogen dominance and menopause and although your ovaries were left afar your hysterectomy you are unlikely still to be producing much progesterone now. You may find it helpful to read this article by Dame Dr Shirley Bond which will help you identify what is going on:

Thelma Williams | 9:16 am, June 28th, 2012

Hello. I am 77 years old, took HRT for 17 years – no side affects whatsoever. Last August had a very successful operation for breast cancer but am experiencing hot flushes again and occasional night sweats.
Wondering if there is any reason for this right now. Very fit and healthy and take Pilatas twice a week. Many thanks.

wellsprings | 7:00 pm, June 28th, 2012

Sadly hot flushes are no respecter of age and many women do have them after menopause. If you had chemotherapy following your breast cancer then that will have disturbed your hormones and could have been the trigger for the flushes.

Luisa | 12:15 am, July 18th, 2012

Hi. I am 53. My doctor says I am post menapausal. I have zero hormones she says. I did not experience hot flashes until now. I only have a flash of instant heat and a flood of sweating when I first wake up in the morning and strtch or move. Other than that I do not have flashes. Have you heard of this? Can you help me understand why this is happening? I am on meds for hypertension.

colleen | 3:42 am, July 24th, 2012

Hello….I need some help. I am in Australia and 6 weeks ago had a hyster and my ovaries removed due to a cyst…..6 years prior to that I had a hyster due to a large fibroid (22cm in diameter) and had cervix and uterus removed. I had 2 kids late in life at 38 & 39 and had the huge fibroid during both pregnancies. 1st was natural, 2nd ended upbeing an emergency caesaran…needless to say I have a couple of stomach scars!
I used to get really bad pmt all my life, shocking mood swings and straight after the last hyster I have gone into shocking mood swings again……I was on anti depressants but I have gone of them as well as I want to try and fix what was obviously a hormonal imbalance. My other symptoms are now not sleeping (use to sleep at the drop of a hat) and hot flushes. My main concern is the mood swings with such young children.
when I was getting my staples out I told the doc about my symptoms and she just wrote me out a script for premarin without a word. I am terrified of taking this because of the breast cancer scare so it is still in my cupboard. I can handle the hot flushes so should I go back on anti depressants for the mood swings??? my cousin told me about progesterone cream which is how I found this site. Will this help me without uterus? thanks

Look At THIS Site | 8:28 am, July 27th, 2012

Magnificent items from you, man. I have understand your stuff prior to and you’re simply extremely excellent. I really like what you have bought here, really like what you are stating and the best way in which you say it. You are making it enjoyable and you continue to take care of to keep it smart. I cant wait to learn much more from you. That is actually a wonderful web site.

Erin | 12:58 am, August 9th, 2012

I am 29 years old. I’ve never had any children and am experiencing hot flashes all the time. Does anyone know what it could mean? Does stress cause hot flashes? Do a women’s hormones change through out her life even in her twenties?

Gabriella | 10:52 am, August 11th, 2012

Greetings:I’d like Greetings:I’d like to extend a warm Thank You for all the great vidoes that mygenie has posted, I have a question for you concerning EFT and Hormonal imbalance. I have been practicing EFT for the past 5 years, and it was my understanding, and perhaps I’m wrong, but I thought that Gary Craig mentions the possibilities of EFT not being successful when the body is experiencing hormonal change ? Could you please clarify that for me, I’m a bit confused on that aspect.Best RegardsOlga

christine emmings | 5:23 pm, August 21st, 2012

I had a total hysterectomy in 1986 and an oophrectomy in 1989, I was put on hrt and had to come off in May 2012. I am really suffering with hot flushes and night sweats and not sleeping well at all. I am trying the serenity cream but not been very successful at the moment. I have a number of health issues for which I take medication these being: thyroxine, statins, slozem(m/r capsules a calcium channel blocker) as I had a heart attack in 2004. Perindopril, aspirin omeprazole. I am getting desperate as I am constantly tired and am thinking of going back on HRT. I am 58.

Louis | 9:20 pm, August 21st, 2012

I am 33 years old and not likely to have children at all. I have absolutely awful periods – the pains I can just about cope with but the effects my hormones have on me effects me 80% of the time. I know that this is a drastic operation but I really am suffering and have been for many years. Can anyone give me any advice on if this would be a good move to solve my problem.

melissa Kimberly | 5:36 am, August 30th, 2012

I am 49.5 years old. Have had zero signs of menopausal symptoms because I worked out 4-5 days week, including running, swimming, biking, hiking etc. I now have degenerative disk issue and have been on a 4 month break…well, here comes the hot flashes, insomnia, moodiness, etc. EXERCISE—it truly is a regulator. I did just start taking Progestra 20 to help on this period of no exercise, as well as Maca. Re: Patricia who is 70 and had a hysterectomy at 32, elctro shock therapy, breakdowns—My Mom had the same issues…I only wish I had been old enough to help her with these things- You sound like you are up on research and trying new ways of helping yourself…try the maca herbal pills…and exercise, even if it is pool work…give it a try. Good luck with your journey.

Portia Goldman | 8:51 am, October 15th, 2012

Good day-i am 36yrs old and have been experiencing sweaty under arms is my menopause starting? I can be sitting at my desk and out of nothing i am damp.Please advise
Many thanks
Portia

jo | 9:29 am, October 18th, 2012

Hi, I had a total hysterectomy due to a large cyst two years ago. I was 35 at the time. I do not suffer any mood swings (and never did when I had periods either) My two main problems are the hot flushes – which I am still getting now, and also extremely low libido. I am not on HRT and have never had it. What would you suggest? Thanks

Cecilia | 5:54 am, October 26th, 2012

possible ovarian cneacr/cysts!!! HELP?i have a history of ovarian cysts in my family. i also believe that ovarian cneacr runs in my family too because my mother and ALL of my aunts have had Hysterectomies due to ovarian cysts. i have had fatigue alot in the past, i’ve had backaches alot lately and bad headaches. my periods are normal and usually i have mild cramps(after i take alot of medecine). i also have just experienced pain during sex. i have had sex like 6 times in my whole life and the last time was last night. my boyfriend and i have had sex before and it is usually painful at first because he has a very large penis but after a while the pain goes away but last night and the night before that it was so painful that we couldn’t finish. it only hurt when he penetrated deeply though. could this be ovarian systs/cancer?? i am 18yrs old and i was tested so i DONT have any stds.im not overweight im 5 6 118lbs

Carlos | 6:57 am, October 26th, 2012

I suffer from Endometriosis and had a full womb/both ovareis/ cervix/ tubes removal two years ago but I STILL have the disease. I went back for my check up after 8 weeks and I was told very bluntly,’You still have the Endo in your bowel, bladder, ligaments and loads on your hernia scar tissue.’I am still suffering two years on, and I take Livial-a very mild HRT, but this makes me so bad I can hardly walk. Now my doctor has told me to come off the hormones and I’m hoping it will settle down until something can be sorted. I can’t go without hormones for long because I have a fractured separated pelvis and am already getting signs of Osteoporosis and Arthritis due to early menopause, besides severe menopausal symptoms.YOU CAN have Endo after a hysterectomy, DO NOT let anyone tell you otherwise. LOOK ON THE NET.

Anita | 4:13 pm, October 28th, 2012

I am 77 years old and suffer with hot flashes getting “soaked” up to 20 times a day! I had a total hysterectomy at age 42. I was on Premarin for 28 years and felt great. It has been 3 miserable years since I stopped the Premarin. I did go off gradually over 5 years reducing the dose from 1.25. I have tried everything! The Dr. Said they would eventually go away-when??

Carolyn | 6:37 pm, November 5th, 2012

I had a lumpectomy 4 years ago, chemo and radiation. Now mammogram shows cancer in other breast. Why did not my doctor not put me a drug to block estrogen. My cancer was the estrogen induced kind that was the fastest growing kind of cancer. I am really upset with my oncologist right now. Should I have a mastectomy now? Which test will show if other cancer cells have spread in my body? PET or MRI? Cat scans did not pick up this cancer in my breast.

Cheryl | 10:25 pm, December 1st, 2012

I am ready to kill myself, these hot flashes are no way to live. I have had hot flashes for almost 4 years and finally went on the patch a year ago. It works sometimes but mostly not. I have hot flashes every 10 minutes and sometimes I have the strangest episodes that lasts for hours even days. It feels like someone is running cold water through my veins but I am sweating and my skin feels funny. Has anyone felt like this? I am in Canada and losing my doctor. We have terrible health car right now because of a shortage of doctors. I have pretty well tried everything for hot flashes….I’ve seen a naturopath, I’ve read almost every book, I’m on clonodine for sweating and there’s more. I wish dr. Phil would help me with all the access to doctors he has. I am 52 and was one a fitness instructor now I am fat out of shape, depressed and want to crawl out of my skin…..I can’t take it anymore. I am begging for any information anyone who is reading this has.

ann | 3:33 am, December 3rd, 2012

I’m 35 and I’ve never had kids but I’ve been having hotflashes should I be conserned. I hope to have kids but that’s not happening no matter how hard I’ve tried

Linda | 6:38 pm, January 10th, 2013

I am 72, had a complete hysterectomy 20 years ago. I really didn’t get hot flashes badly but am now getting them. I probably only really notice them because I figure that at age 72 I should quit having them. What causes these, since I have no “parts?” Any information from you would be most welcome. Thank you.

chris | 11:15 am, January 30th, 2013

Hi I had Breast cancer 4 Years ago and had Chemo & radiotherapy. Once I started chemo my body I went into medically induced menopause. I still have huge mood swings and hot flushes and have have enough. Can I use Serenity Cream and will it help?

TERERSA | 6:28 pm, January 30th, 2013

Hi,
I am 24 yr,s old and just had my second child about 6months ago; as well as, a month later having my tubes tied.I know that I am young; however, this is seriously aggravating. I am always having hot flashes and my boby will start sweating profusely all over for no apparent reason. I now also have mood swings. I will be perfectly content one moment and then a few minutes later bawling my eyes out or mad at the world. What should I try first? can this be meopause?

AnnA Rushton | 12:48 pm, February 22nd, 2013

Our apologies for the delay in replying Teresa but your post wasn’t notified to us. What you are experiencing is a surgical menopause and it will need help to rebalance your hormones. We suggest as you are so young that you need 20-1 with its progesterone and oestrogen content to get these symptoms under control.

AnnA Rushton | 9:41 am, February 23rd, 2013

Progesterone is protective against breast cancer and safe to use for women who have had it or are undergoing chemotherapy and radiation. This article by Dr David Zava will give you more information:

AnnA Rushton | 10:21 am, March 5th, 2013

Teresa – our apologies for the delay in replying to you as we have had problems with comments being forwarded from our website. What you are describing sounds like the effect of the sudden drop in progesterone after giving birth. As progesterone is a mood enhancer this can often result in ‘the baby blues’ in many women and supplementing with Serenity will help, as will this article by Dr Tony Cooope: http://www.bio-hormone-health.com/2010/04/16/hormones-and-the-baby-blues-part-1/

AnnA Rushton | 10:22 am, March 5th, 2013

Kathleen – our apologies for the delay in replying to you as we have had problems with comments being forwarded from our website. Yes it is entirely safe as progesterone is protective against breast cancer and many women do use it after surgery and chemotherapy.

AnnA Rushton | 10:34 am, March 5th, 2013

Teresa what you are describing is the result of the acute drop in progesterone after giving birth and as progesterone is a mood enhancer this can lead to ‘baby blues’ and supplementing with SErenity will help, as will this article by Dr Tony Coope:

Jennifer | 4:03 am, March 17th, 2013

I will be 42yrs old in Dec. Ive had a horrible time with my periods from the age of 16yr until 36yr…my “monthly” became yearly.
2011 we got preg and i had her Nov and then had another son Oct2012 so he is now just a few days from being 5months old. I am having hot flashes like crazy…all day everyday. Is this just PP hormones??

dr coope | 10:54 am, March 17th, 2013

Post birth many women’s hormones do go into free fall Jennifer as the progesterone levels drop dramatically. As you have had a history of hormonal difficulty it could be a period of adjustment and stress also plays a major part in hot flushes. This article may be helpful:

Flora | 10:24 am, April 21st, 2013

Hi Dr.Coope,

I have been menopausal since 45 years and have been on HRT since then. I am now 57. I used to take one that caused you to bleed just like your periods but now for the last 4 years I am on livial and at night I top up with remmifemin ( black cohosh). However I can only sleep for about 5 hours before I get up due a feeling like an electric current passing through my body. My work is very stressful and may be adding to the problem. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

dr coope | 3:14 pm, April 21st, 2013

Flora – Livial’s actions are similar to oestrogen and therefore can increase symptoms of oestrogen dominance as also does black cohosh. You need to consider supplementing with bioidentical natural progesterone to balance this and help with your symptoms and stress is also a major factor in increasing hormonal symptoms. These articles may be helpful:

Pamela may Dillon | 8:34 pm, April 26th, 2013

hi I live in plymouth Devon uk and have been trying to find a bioidentical hormone Doctor for a while now but to no avail, I don’t know if you could help me find out if there are any in my area, would be grateful if you could help. Regards p dillon

AnnA Rushton | 10:49 am, April 27th, 2013

None we know of Pamela, but Dr Tony Coope is an experienced practitioner with bioidentical hormones and he offers telephone and email consultations. You can see more about him here:
http://www.bio-hormone-health.com/2010/02/05/dr-tony-c oope/

Judy Donaldson | 1:42 pm, May 10th, 2013

Iam age64 and am having my uterus removed because of prolapse, I have been advise by my doctor to also have my ovaries removed to lower my cancer risk, because of the breast cancer I had in 2002 and I am high risk for colon cancer. At my age would I still have probems with hot flashes, mood swings, depression etc?

AnnA Rushton | 3:12 pm, May 10th, 2013

Sadly age is no protection against hormonal symptoms and women post menopause can still find themselves affected by hot flushes etc. It is not always the hormones that are directly responsible but acting in response to stress which affects most of our body’s functions.

Gayle Read | 4:34 pm, May 19th, 2013

I am 71 and have hot flashes pain in back of legs cannot sleep .Also when i dose and then come to i have a strange feeling in middle of chest and my eyes seem to show the room in bright colours till i blink.This is very scary can you help me.

AnnA Rushton | 4:41 pm, May 19th, 2013

Hot flushes are sadly not uncommon after menopause, and can be helped by progesterone but your other symptoms do need to be investigated by your doctor Gayle. There can be several reasons for the symptoms you have but please do speak to your doctor about them.

Susan Harrison | 5:09 am, August 28th, 2013

I am 45 and I had a complete hysterectomy at the age of 21. I had extremely large ovarian cysts, that eventualy made there way into the fallopian tubes and an infection that went undetected and un treated, I was on premerin after surgery, after 6 months my body quit absorbing it, from there I was put on patches and gained a considerable amount of weight relatively quickly; so we tried injections which were extremely painful. After years of not using anything I trie bio-identicals and once again gained weight, stopped using them and I haven’t had hot flashes for 10 years. I recently started working out and changed my diet and unfortunately my hot flashes and night sweats have returned with a vengeance !! I will appreciate any help you can offer.

Susan H.

Andrea Jones | 8:24 am, September 22nd, 2013

SHad total hysterectomy at age 27 yrs because of extreme scar tissue on fallopian tubes. Have been on a lot of different estrogens. Anyway, am now 59 yrs & my dr maybe 6mths ago put me on Estradiol 1mg. Since then i have been having drenching hot flashes & night sweats. I curl my hair & before i can style it my hair is soaken wet again & dripping down my neck. About 6 yrs ago i started having very bad panic attacks that put me in the ER twice. I am now taking Venlafaxine ER 150mg for that & depression. I also have high blood pressure, but have it controlled w medication. I have gained so much weight that i cant lose. I dont feel like exercising because i am soaken wet right out of a shower. I am miserable & moody because of it. I am also taking black cohash 200mg which is not helping. Can you help me for i am desperate & very frustrated! Thank you!

AnnA Rushton | 10:54 am, September 24th, 2013

Andrea your symptoms relate to excess oestrogen and we suggest that you need rebalancing with progesterone. Serenity can help and is not contraindicated by your medications, in fact it assists with mood and blood pressure.

Madie | 12:50 pm, October 14th, 2013

I am 65 and years ago I was on a oestrogen and progestogen pill but it caused breakthrough bleeding in my veins and the Dr took me off. I started using a natural yam cream and it helped, but I quit taking it and I can’t remember why now (could it be age, lol). I have not taken anything for years. I have recently started having trouble sleeping because of mild flushes in the middle of the night. My problem is once I wake up, I am up. I would like to take something natural if possible. I have a high risk of cancer (both mom and dad) and heart problems (mom and her father and on both sides of the family). I am 5′5″ and weigh 150 lbs. My Dr thought I had cancer in both breasts this year and wouldn’t let me leave until she scheduled me for tests, because of my history. I only had fibrous lumps. I have had Vnus surgery on the inside of both legs. I had my 5th child at 38 years old (but also had three miscarriages) and went into menopause around 40. The only medication I am taking is 20 mg Lisinopril for high blood pressure. I am active, (but don’t exercise regularly). I don’t suffer from depression and my libido is fine. If you recommend some thing natural, please add the dosage, it can be confusing how much to take and I don’t want to overtake. I take melatonin at night but cut it down to one half a pill because I read some negatives. To re-read this it sounds like my history has me falling apart, but I am really quite healthy. Thank-you.

gail mcdonald | 2:53 pm, October 14th, 2013

I got you cream for hot flushes and tried it after the first month their was no change but I decided because the jar last 3months to carry on with it as the hot flushes was getting me down after the second month of using the cream I found my hot flushes completely gone amazing thank you

AnnA Rushton | 8:54 am, November 12th, 2013

Dosage will vary `madie depending on why you are using it and your history so we do not specify quantity but guidelines are given in an online booklet when ordering creams. Sleep is certainly affected at perimenopause and you may find the following article helpful;

Mary | 4:35 pm, January 20th, 2014

I will be 72 years of age this August, I had my uterus removed due to a prolapse. I am still getting Hotflases I can handle them during the day, they are worse at night when I get one I cannot go back to sleep. I cannot use Estrogen as I had a scare so it is all cold turkey any suggestions. I still have a prolapse this time, they will remove the ovaries when they do the surgery, will this stop the Hotflashes or am I doomed to have them for the rest of my life.

AnnA Rushton | 10:55 am, January 21st, 2014

Hot flashes are related to more than just hormone imbalance Mary and sadly women post menopause can still have them. Stress if a major factor as well but certainly Serenity can help with your symptoms and progesterone is recommended in these circumstances.

gail | 11:29 am, February 10th, 2014

how long do I need to be on progesterone cream for

Dianne | 12:40 am, April 18th, 2014

I am 48 and hot flashes started last month. I would rather go thru labor than this every single day! I had a uterine oblation about 7 yrs. ago and do have my ovaries. Have had no periods since then but lots of cramping every month where I didn’t the first 7 yrs of my surgery. I have been depressed since 10 yrs old and seems to be getting worse. Did find out I am Bipolar II and am on Lamictal 150mg and going higher end of month but doc thinks HRT would benefit me and make me not need as much Lamictal. I cry every other day and cannot stop. But I don’t think I can do this hot flash every single night for the next 5-10 yrs. Any suggestions? I am taking over the counter menopause stuff and ground flax seeds in my yogurt but nothing seems to help. Other vitamins too.
Thanks

Dr Tony Coope | 11:23 am, April 18th, 2014

Dianne: it is very likely that declining hormone levels are behind the appearance of your hot flashes, and could indeed be making worse your symptoms of depression.
So the idea of HRT is a logical one. However, I think you need to be very careful to take the right option here; oestrogen is likely to be necessary to resolve the flashes, but your previous history suggests that you have been progesterone depleted and therefore your progesterone /estrogen ratio has been out of balance. The synthetic progestin (progesterone substitute) in standard HRT has a tendency to worsen the severity of depressive symptoms, whereas the bioidentical form of progesterone eg as found in Serenity has the opposite, beneficial, effect. The best options for you would be progesterone in a cream, an progesterone/oestrogen combined cream, or if necessary, progesterone plus oestrogen in a gel or patch so that you have full control of the right dosages for you. To be sure of which dosages you need it would be essential to start with a hormone saliva test to establish your current progesterone and oestrogen levels.