Breast cancer is undoubtedly most women’s greatest fear, and if there is any history of it in your family then taking preventive action makes real sense. One of the simplest places to start is with your diet as it can play a significant role in your chances of developing breast cancer. Renowned nutritionist Andrew Weil, MD has some excellent suggestions that you can easily incorporate into your everyday routine.
Top 3 tips on foods that can reduce the risk of breast cancer
1. Use healthy fats: monounsaturates such as extra virgin olive oil, freshly ground flaxseed and oily fish such as wild Alaskan salmon and sardines which are rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
2. Soy foods contain many cancer-protective substances, including isoflavones, so try to eat one to two servings of whole soy-based foods a day.
3. Boring but true, you must eat more fruits and vegetables! Make sure they include cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, bok choy, and cauliflower, which contain many different cancer-protective phytonutrients.
Top 3 tips on foods that can increase the risk of breast cancer
1. Too high an intake of fat increases the risk so keep your dietary fat down to below 25 percent of your daily calorie intake. Of that intake reduce the amount of animal fats, polyunsaturated fats (including many vegetable oils) and hydrogenated oils such as margarines and vegetable shortenings as they can all increase cancer risks.
2. Check your alcohol intake as even in modest amounts it is associated with an increased risk of breast cancer.
3. Eating conventionally raised meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy products every day can also increase your risk so replace with organic, hormone-free versions and use sparingly.
For more on nutrition and health from Andrew Weil visit www.drweil.com
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Please feel free to discuss this article in the comments section below, but note that the author cannot respond to queries made there.