As we saw in the previous article, bio-identical hormone therapy seems to work for most post-menopausal women for arthritis relief. However, there are a few women that still have arthritis and arthralgis in spite of the estrogen cream. It just doesn’t work for them. What natural therapies do we have in our tool kit that we can offer these women?
- A Vegetable Juicing Diet is anti-inflammatory and can relieve arthritis: The vegetable juicing diet is an effective lifestyle modification that is very effective for arthritis. Credit and thanks goes to Andrew Saul MD for bringing this to my attention in his book, “Doctor Yourself “, which is devoted to arthritis and the vegetable juicing diet. This is certainly worth a try.
- Niacin Vitamin B3 is useful for osteoarthrits according to William Kauffman MD.
- Weight loss is anti-inflammatory. Fat in the “spare tire” of the abdomen produces inflammatory chemical mediators. By reducing this fat depot, inflammation is reduced everywhere in the body. This is certainly worth a try.
- There are an number of anti-inflammatory herbs such as Boswellia, Ginger and Curcumin which can relieve the symptoms.
- Omega 3 Fish Oil is anti-inflammatory and a number of studies reveal just as effective as NSAID anti-inflammatory medications for rheumatoid arthritis.
Treatments to Rebuild Cartilage
Cartilage is an important cushion material in the joints that often wears thin as osteoarthritis progresses. Once cartilage loss is severe enough to show up on an x-ray, this usually indicates irreversible damage to the joint. Cartilage nutrients such as glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM have been found to be effective at relieving arthritis. Be patient, it takes about six weeks to get full relief.
Treatments to Rebuild Strong Bone and Collagen
In addition to cartilage, joints are made of bone material, so taking supplements to build strong bone makes sense. Bone is made of collagen, so supplements that are required for strong collagen formation are ones we want here.
1) Vitamin C is a key vitamin for strong collagen.
2) Silica (BioSil) is a new supplement that makes strong collagen.
3) Collagen is made from amino acids so, the amino acids-lysine, proline are useful.
4) Collagen strength comes from sulfer crosslinking, so the sulfer nutrient MSM is added.
Disclaimer from Dr Dach:
The reader is advised to discuss the comments on these pages with his/her personal physicians and to only act upon the advice of his/her personal physician. Also note that concerning an answer which appears as an electronically posted question, I am NOT creating a physician — patient relationship. Although identities will remain confidential as much as possible, as I can not control the media, I cannot take responsibility for any breaches of confidentiality that may occur.
FAIR USE NOTICE: This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of issues of significance. We believe this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.
For more information on Dr Dach and his work please visit http://jeffreydach.com
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Please feel free to discuss this article in the comments section below, but note that the author cannot respond to queries made there.