Related Topics: Bioidentical Hormones

How To Most Effectively Use Bioidentical Hormone Creams

How and where to use bioidentical hormone creams are questions that come up frequently and here Dr Bond explains why correct application and usage is so important.

Dame Dr Shirley Bond

I know I am supposed to rotate the cream, but I am not quite sure what this means? Simply, it means that you do not want to put the cream onto the same place every day. Most women who are using the cream experiment to find their own routine, but a simple way is to think of using it where it can be easily absorbed.  This includes different areas of the body, fatty tissue where absorption is slower and stays in the body longer, and thinner areas where it is more quickly absorbed, but not so long lasting but can bring faster relief for hot flushes for example.

Every day you want to put the cream in a different place. You could start on day one with the face, then on other days use the neck, palms of the hands, lower arms, stomach, buttocks, lower back or inner thighs.  That will give you more than seven different places to put the cream, and as there are seven days in the week it should work out.  Also the cream can be used internally as one of the rotation sites and is particularly useful for women suffering from vaginal dryness.

Also splitting the dose so you are having half in the morning and half in the evening usually helps absorption, unless you are specifically directed otherwise.

However hard I rub the cream in, it doesn’t seem to be fully absorbed. Am I doing something wrong? You do not need to rub, the cream is absorbed easily with a light touch, just like a moisturizing cream.

Is there a limit on how long I can use bioidentical natural progesterone? There is no limit to the length of time you can use natural progesterone, provided that you are using it in a physiological dosage between 20-40mg a day and at the right time.  This means on the correct days of your menstrual cycle, if you still have one, or having a few days without the progesterone each month if you are menopausal.

Can you use too much cream? When using a bioidentical progesterone cream you would have to rub in half a tub a day to produce the same amount that a woman’s body makes naturally per day during pregnancy.  As the instructions for use suggest that a tub should last two months or so, depending on usage,  you can see it would be very hard to overdo it.  Even if you did there would be no ill-effects, just rather a waste of the cream.

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

Elisabeth Crowe | 1:04 am, June 9th, 2012

I’ve been using this fabulous cream for two years according to the instructions in the bboklet. However, the instructions state it’s to be used on fatty areas – abdo, upper arms, thighs, buttocks. I wouldn’t have thought neck, plams of hands, lower arms would’ve fallen into that category????

wellsprings | 8:40 am, June 9th, 2012

We are in the process of updating our website information Elisabeth and Dr Bond’s article is based on the latest available information.

Fatty areas are best for slow absorption and longer lasting effect, but the other areas mentioned are thin skinned and these seem more effective to help with hot flushes. A mixture of the two seems to work for most women

AnnA Rushton | 9:59 am, June 13th, 2012

Robin – we know that stress affects practically every function in the body and our hormones are no exception. Being stressed exacerbates hot flushes and tackling the stress if essential to really support the hormones to rebalance. Your comment on oestrogen making you ‘crazy’ does indicate oestrogen dominance but perseverance with bioidentical natural progesterone will rebalance your hormones, but it is not a quick process when it is being opposed by high stress levels.

Tracy Kemp | 11:13 am, July 6th, 2012

Is it ok to take other supplements such as evening primrose, sage and multi-vitamins with the cream? I do find the supplements useful. I have only just started using the cream but am still suffering terrible night sweats which cause lack of sleep and irritability and I just wonder how long the cream will take to offer me some respite.

wellsprings | 11:28 am, July 6th, 2012

tracey – there is no contraindication with any supplement you are taking. If your sweats are not lessening you can continue with the initial quarter teaspoon dose for a further month and cut the break down to 2-3 days.

Sue Lovett | 5:44 pm, July 25th, 2012

I was taking HRT since my early 50’s. I am now 65. During this time I have had a couple of attempts to stop – each time has resulted in sweats big time.
I now live in France, where HRT is not prescribed, and so is now unavailable to me and as a result I stopped taking HRT last April. I won’t even begin to describe what my life has been like since then. ALL the symptoms have hit me with no mercy – and I have tried so many different remedies. Yet again I am reading about some marvellous cream that is going to be my salvation and give me my life back.
WILL IT ?????

ESTELLE | 3:25 am, August 2nd, 2012

IF I DONT GET MY HORMONES TESTED, IS IT SAFE TO TAKE THE OTC E2 AND E3 AND PROGESTERONE AND LOW DOSE TESTOSTERONE CREAM/S? AND WHAT ARE THE LOW DOSES FOR EACH. I KNOW AND ALREADY TAKE PROGESTERONE CREAM ONCE PER DAY. 1/4 TSP. AM 65 WITH OSTEOARTHRITIS,HASHIMOTOS, GERD, AND WOULD LIKE TO PREVENT OTHER DISEASES. WILL BHRT ALSO HELP INCREASE MY LOW STOMACH ACID???? INCASE I HAVE TO GET TESTED FIRST, CAN YOU RECOMMEND THE BEST ALTERNATIVE LAB FOR MAIL ORDER AND THE LOWEST PRICE. PLS. I’M ON SSI.. INADEQUATE INCOME.
BY THE WAY, YOUR SITE SAYS NO PROBLEM TO OVERDOSE ON PROGESTERONE. DR JOHN R LEE’S BK SAYS TOO MUCH MAKES ONE’S BREASTS GET MUCH BIGGER.AND IT HAPPENED TO ME. WENT DOWN AFTER DISCONTINUING IT FOR SOME TIME.RESUMED AT A LOWER DOSE LATER. THANKS MUCH.

Lou | 4:46 pm, September 11th, 2012

Hi i have just had my hormones tested only to be told once the results were through that i should have had progesterone tested on day 21 of my cycle. Please can you advise me on when is the best time to have hormones tested. Should they all be done on day 21 of cycle. I am convinced that i am massively oestrogen dominant but trying to get any help from a GP on this subject is proving impossible. I now have to have hormones tested again. I would be grateful for any advise. Thank you.

LYNN | 11:16 pm, November 21st, 2012

Hi I have just started using your cream tonight However I have an underactive thyroid and take thyroxine is this ok ???

jc | 11:59 pm, December 18th, 2012

I am not a dr but i take thyroid drugs, yes it is okay to take bioidentical hormones and thyroid drugs…

jackie | 10:27 pm, January 18th, 2013

Should I apply oestrogen every day of the month or take a few days off?

emah | 5:34 pm, April 27th, 2013

Hi i had total hysterectomy almost 2yrs ago. i had severe surgicl menopause symptoms-hot flashes, night sweats, body pains etc. i have been taking HRT-livial since then. i still have hot flashes, bone pains and now weght gain,memory loss,difficulty to sleep.
i have been given 20 to 1progesterone cream. CAN I GO OFF LIVIAL?
WILL THE CREAM HELP IN WEIGHT LOSS?
I HOPE THE CREAM WILL NOT ENLARGE MY BREASTS?
PLS ADVISE.

Eilana Forbes | 9:40 am, July 22nd, 2013

Which natural progesterone cream does Dr bond recommend from those available? Would it be useful for hot flushes caused by hormone treatment for prostate cancer?

Sue Lovett | 9:58 am, July 22nd, 2013

Sue Lovett | 5:44 pm, July 25th

WILL IT ?????

JJ | 9:36 pm, July 22nd, 2013

please note Maca Extract capsules 4:1 ratio are very helpful, google about them. Only a cream with USP (certified)on he label can help

AnnA Rushton | 6:35 am, July 23rd, 2013

Certainly Maca can be helpful, but it is is an adaptogen herb so can increase the effect of hormones and the progesterone in Serenity is USP certified.

AnnA Rushton | 7:23 am, July 23rd, 2013

Dr Bond has commented: “What hormones are being given for the prostatic cancer? Usually it is oestrogen which shouldn’t induce hot flushes. Depending upon the hormone treatment progesterone might be inappropriate or even counter productive.”

Eilana Forbes | 11:05 am, July 24th, 2013

Thank-you for the reply. My young 78yrs old husband has had his first 6 monthly injection of Decapeptyl (triptorelin) 3mg and soon will be taking a daily tablet of aberaterone. He has been using Natpro ….my suggestion …as I have used it for many years. Is this doing more harm than good?

Sarah | 8:50 am, September 11th, 2013

Hi there
I stopped taking my serenity cream a month or two ago as my flushes had stopped .i had had a couple of dark shows of blood over the past year .
About 2 weeks after I stopped I had a very heavy bleed and was admitted to A &E. they were convinced it was because I stopped using the cream , the doctor on a follow up also believed this .they were not concerned as I am still having the odd period .however I have just had my hormone levels checked , it indicated I’m def in the menopause now .. Serum level LH LEVEL 52.6 and FSH LEVEL 100.7
I am now concerned that this bleed was abnormal .
I am desperate to get back on serenity again . My flushes are terrible especially at night and my mood swings are awful too ..I have an gyno investigation in the 3 rd .if they say everything looks ok do you think it wld be ok to go back on serenity ? I felt so good on it and so balanced

Thanks

AnnA Rushton | 12:15 pm, September 17th, 2013

Sarah we regret DrBond is unable to reply directly to medical queries relating to her articles. However there is nothing in your history to indicate that returning to using bioidentical natural progesterone would be a problem.

angela | 12:11 pm, April 10th, 2014

I have just been given prempak-c 0.625 mg not taken them yet i have just received serenity cream can i use both.

Estelle | 1:12 pm, April 10th, 2014

THE LATE DR JOHN R. LEE MD, SAID IN ONE OF HIS BOOKS, AND I EXPERIENCED THE FOLLOWING TO BE TRUE FROM EXPERIENCE: USING TOO MUCH PROGESTERONE CREAM MADE MY BREASTS GET VERY BIG AND BLOWN UP. NOT TRUE THAN WE CANT OVERDO IT. WHEN I STOPPED FOR A LONG TIME, THEY WENT DOWN (SMALLER) TO NORMAL AGAIN. BE WARNED!!!

AnnA Rushton | 5:28 pm, April 10th, 2014

Estelle since DR Lee first published his book in 1996, new information came to light. His office issued further information which was that no hormones should be used on the breast or chest area as this can awaken the oestrogen receptors there and this is what is enow ecommended in all application regimes.

AnnA Rushton | 5:30 pm, April 10th, 2014

Angela you can take the oestrogen part and discontinue the 12 Norgestrol tablets while using Serenity. Please see this article by Dr Tony Coope for further information:

AnnA Rushton | 11:46 am, September 22nd, 2014

Mary we cannot answer this here please email support@wellsprings-health.com so they can help you.

Lesley | 4:13 pm, December 21st, 2014

I have been using for 2 weeks Nat bio
Progesterone cream for estrogen dominance. How long does it start to work ? I have been told a few months.
I have been told to use it everyday!
I am pre menopause. I had a merina coil removed in oct. So periods have started again after 4 years I am 52.