Related Topics: Depression, HRT, Menopause

Do Your Symptoms Need Oestrogen As Well As Progesterone?

Women need both these essential female hormones throughout their lives, but sometimes you need just progesterone and sometimes a combination of the two may be more helpful for your symptoms.

AnnA Rushton

At menopause it is  common to have oestrogen dominance, particularly if there has been HRT use or you are over your normal weight.

However, there are some times when a little extra oestrogen is needed and this is best in a combination cream, such as 20-1, where it is balanced by progesterone.

If you are not sure if you do need oestrogen there are some common signs to look for.

Signs Of Oestrogen Deficiency

* Depression and anxiety
* Dull, dry, skin and eyes
* Loss of firmness, fullness and elasticity in the breasts
* Pain or discomfort on intercourse
* Reduced stamina
* Vaginal dryness

You do need to be aware of your own symptoms when choosing a hormone cream as, although there is plenty of information on their use, it is you alone who really know what your symptoms are and how severe. If you are not sure about oestrogen dominance, these are some of the common signs.

Signs Of Oestrogen Dominance

* Breast tenderness
* Breasts swollen, increased in size
* Impatient, irritable behaviour
* Water retention particularly of the belly, wrists, fingers, ankles
* Weight gain when nothing has changed in your diet or exercise

Helpful information

Combined progesterone and oestrogen creams can be very helpful for women who need a little oestrogen for help with depression, anxiety and more severe flushes and sweats not helped by progesterone alone.

Dr Jeffrey Dach of the USA recommends it not just for depression but also after a hysterectomy to replace both lost hormones naturally and without HRT.

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

AnnA Rushton | 8:42 am, November 22nd, 2017

Libido can relate to low progesterone, the hormone that supports thyroid function, so with dry skin try 20-1, which is a combination cream with the majority ingredient of bioidentical progesterone plus a small amount of two natural oestrogens in a well-balanced formula.

F | 7:42 pm, November 21st, 2017

Hi. I am 60 and have been through the menopause. I was dgx with underachieve thyroid in March 2017 and I am taking Levothyroxine 50mcg. They made a fantastic positive difference to me. However, I still wonder whether there are hormonal issues that are also involved. I have dry skin, seem to be prone to allergic reaction to things eg. sulphates in food/drink; lowered libido. Weight and eating stable. Exercise regularly. Have you any advice?

AnnA Rushton | 4:09 pm, March 1st, 2017

Hayley these symptoms will respond best to 20-1, which is a combination cream with the majority ingredient of progesterone with two natural oestrogens added, as that is more effective for mood swings and depression. This article may be helpful and also worth checking for adrenal fatigue: http://www.bio-hormone-health.com/2016/05/09/how-to-help-5-key-signs-of-anxiety-mood-swings-and-depression/

Hayley | 10:34 pm, February 26th, 2017

I am desperate. I am a 43 year old mother and the sole care giver to my 4 year old daughter. I have no support with the child care and therefore have an incredibly intense, round the clock relationship with my beautiful child. I have been struggling, for at least the last 4 months, to manage extreme anxiety, tearfulness and depression.I don’t have the energy to ‘fight’ the symptoms any more. I have very pronounced heart palpitations and at times, chronic fatigue. I am finding it very hard to cope and mask these, what I believe to be, peri-menopausal symptoms from my child. I have reluctantly visited my GP several times, to be given a prescription for SSRI anti-depressants. I am incredibly reluctant to take these, as I believe my problem to be hormonal. However, I am becoming desperate to’cure’ myself. Please, any advice would be so, so gratefully received. With thanks in advance for your help in this matter.

AnnA Rushton | 8:40 pm, February 16th, 2017

You have no symptoms which would indicate low oestrogen Susanna and weight gain is best helped progesterone alone so Serenity would be the better cream for you.

Susanna Martin | 5:15 pm, February 16th, 2017

Hello.
I am calculating whic treatment to trial.
I do not suffer any dryness but I have gained weight on my usual diet which is mainly whole foods, home cooked etc.
Mood swings mild but sweats and hot flushes increasing and cause sleep deprivation regularly.
Should I use the 20-1 ?

AnnA Rushton | 6:29 pm, November 13th, 2016

If weight gain is your biggest concern, the Serenity is the best cream. However vaginal dryness would be better with 20-1, so start with Serenity and you can you can change to 20-1 later if you need to.

AnnA Rushton | 6:24 pm, November 13th, 2016

The oestrogen in 20-1 will help with the dryness Helen and the progesterone in it assists libido, but it is not the best cream for losing weight. However the oestrogen in it is only the 1 part of the 20-1 formula so is very well balanced.

Helen Irvine | 6:30 am, November 10th, 2016

Hi I have been taking serenity now for 6 weeks I think it is totally fantastic , 1 am 54 and have been going throughout sweats and flushes for about 8 years now I was in HRt for about 3 years then my Gp took me off it because of side effects as I am a smoker , so I tried herbal tablets which kept night sweats at bay for a wee while but I started putting on a lot of weight . The problem with me at the moment is I have totally lost all interest in sex and it’s painfull having inter purse due to vagina dryness . Me and my partner had origio ally had a very active sex drive to I’m not sure if to continue with serenity or change to 20/1 as I may need the combination of oestrogen . But terrified I might put more weight on please help

AnnA Rushton | 10:07 am, September 29th, 2016

Yes certainly you can use 20-1 Hazel as post hysterectomy most women need both progesterone and oestrogen.

Hazel Candy | 11:45 am, September 28th, 2016

Just wanted to know if i could use the 20-1 cream as i have all the symtoms of oestrogen deficiency. I had a hysterectomy in1996 aged 40, Im feel im constantly on antibiotics for uti`s. I take 50mg Losartan daily for blood pressure too. Many Thanks. Hazel

AnnA Rushton | 9:49 am, August 20th, 2016

Anne unfortunately this is common at menopause and low progesterone and any increase in weight will increase testosterone (which is what is usually behind these outbreaks) and applying the Serenity directly to the acne as one of the daily application sites will help clear the skin and aggravating factors can be a deficiency of vitamin A and also of zinc so addressing these will also be helpful. To ensure you are getting maximum hormone application absorption do check your routine with the one below:

anne essien | 1:31 pm, August 16th, 2016

Hi, I have started to get acne spots around my chin and upper lip area. I’m 57 and still have periods, although they have gone down to every 2 months. The acne flare’s up mainly after a period. I use the progesterone cream in the morning and the twenty to one in the evening. Why am I getting these painful spots? Thank you for your reply!

AnnA Rushton | 12:51 pm, July 24th, 2016

Brenda if you are lacking oestrogen you need 20-1, which is a combination cream containing both progesterone and oestrogen, as Serenity does not contain any oestrogen. Please return the unopened jar for it to be exchanged.

brenda weir | 5:26 pm, July 18th, 2016

my sign are all of oestrogen deficiency i.ve brought your serenity cream an hoping it works for me